Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Tale of Two Tshirts

The other day I saw a tshirt that read, "I got ninety nine problems but a BABY ain't one!" At the bottom some sex ed program proudly declared its sponsorship of this apparel. My heart sunk. If you consider babies a problem, let me suggest that your issues may run far deeper than the mere mechanics of procreation (or the inhibiting thereof).

But my moral and sartorial spirits were lifted on Sunday when a visiting priest told a story about being at the local park with his parish's youth minister, who pointed out a parish family across the way. It was a fairly young couple, with husband and wife both about thirty years old. With them were five children. The wife and children all wore matching tshirts which read, "No, we're not done. We're just getting started." Awesome!

Not having seen the young family myself, I cannot venture much of a guess, but it would not surprise me if the young parents were far happier people than the wearer of the sex ed tshirt (who did not seem a particularly happy gal). It is a situation almost universally observed at pro- and anti-abortion rallies, where the people who support baby killing just seem like bitter people. The selfishness and loneliness inherent in viewing the lives of others as problems will catch up to you sooner or later.

Just another reason I'm glad I'm Catholic.

3 comments:

Aaron Linderman said...

To those hoping for pictures with this post, I'm sorry. I looked, but couldn't find any images on the internet. If you turn anything up, please let me know.

Aaron Linderman said...

And, no, I don't know why the father wasn't wearing the matching tshirt. I was tempted to edit that little detail out of the story, but figured lying wasn't a good idea. No doubt he had a good reason...

Eric said...

Always good to know that babies make people happy.