Friday, October 16, 2009

Fantastic Mr. Fox


While living at the Quincy House I developed a love of Wes Anderson films (and of one of Anderson's gurus, Whit Stillman). At the time I noticed that Anderson was working on a version of Roald Dahl's Fantastic Mr. Fox. At last, that effort is coming to fruition.



I remember enjoying Fantastic Mr. Fox quite a lot as a child. It would be interesting to read it again, (a) to see if I still enjoy it and (b) to see if Anderson's take is a faithful one. From the looks of it, he has taken certain liberties with the story. This is not, in my view, necessarily a bad thing. When translating a work from one genre to another, slavishness can sometimes fall flat. I am hopeful, however, that Anderson has produced a film which works well on the screen and is faithful to the heart of Dahl's work (even if not quite every line).

Thanks go out to the oodles of people who simultaneously brought this trailer to my attention.

1 comment:

Margaret E. Perry said...

I was telling Caitlin as we went and saw WTWTA, that this movie reminds me of Antz. That is, Antz was a woody Allen movie, dressed up as a cartoon (and clean enough for kids--even if they didn't get it). Well, this is a wes anderson movie, dressed up as a cartoon, and cleaned up too. Antz was AWESOME...so I really hope this will be too.