Monday, October 26, 2009

50 Beers to Drink Before You Die


Some time ago I came across this list of 50 Beers to Drink Before You Die. It includes some of my favorite beers, among them Rogue Shakespeare Stout (pt 1), Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barley Wine (pt 1), Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA (pt 3), Theakston Old Peculier (pg 4) and Stone Arrogant Bastard (pt 10). It's also got some beers I'm now interested to try, such as Orkney SkullSplitter (pt 4) and the Great Lakes Brewing Co. Edmund Fitzgerald Porter (pt 6).

I highly doubt, however, that this is the best beer list out there. In spite of the nice pictures and little write-ups, there are some omissions, such as Delirium, either the Tremens or the Nocturnum. And what about Weyerbacher Heresy? And where was Chimay Blue among the Belgians?

See any favorite beers on the list? Beers that you would add? Lists you'd recommend? Beer experts of the world: please share your wisdom!

In any case, I'm thankful for interesting beers, the people who make them and those who write about them.

9 comments:

Stephen said...

Great topic for a Monday morning, Aaron. Here are a few random thoughts about beer:

1. Barley wine is good (of any variety I've ever tasted), and so is Chemay.

2. I was glad to see that the list included Altbier from Dusseldorf. I would recommend both "Uerige" and "Schumacher." Unfortunately, they're very hard to find in the US, and they don't travel well at that. I found a bottle of Uerige here once, but it had lost all its bitterness on the trip over here. So, go to Dusseldorf.

3. Goose Island is a Chicago brewery, and I'm not a fan of all its beers, but their best I think is India Pale Ale. I could drink that every day and never tire of it.

Caitlin said...

I don't particularly have beers to recommend, but I did enjoy going to a place in Philly last night that you could buy "tastes" of beer that were served in beakers. They had good Chemays. However, I went for the wine beakers- they also did cheese and chocolate tastings. It kind of reminded me of German bars that were cozy and down a flight of steps off of the the street. All in all, a good place to go if you are ever in Philly.

Aaron Linderman said...

Caitlin, do you remember the name of the place?

Steve, have you visited the Goose Island brewery? Worth hitting up on a trip to Chicago?

Caitlin said...

I believe it was Beneluxx. It was a little bit expensive, but worthwhile, especially when you are sharing.

Stephen said...

I've never been to the actual brewery, but I have been to one of their brewpubs a few times, and it's usually a pretty easy-going place. I would recommend it.

Margaret E. Perry said...

theakston old peculier is one of my all time favorites

Margaret E. Perry said...

speaking of philly: the people you should really ask about the best beers are the people at Monk's

Philip said...

This post makes me sad...only because it reminds me that the wonderful month of Oktober is closing. Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen is exactly what beer should taste like.

On a loosely related note, if you ever have a hankering to get in touch with your Russian side, drink Russian Standard Vodka, well-chilled in the freezer with one ice cube, preferably in front of a roaring fire whilst reading Solzhenitsyn. Makes me wish it was mid-January now!

Matt Colvin said...

Mmmm, beer...
I was surprised to see such ordinary choices as Sam Adams Boston Lager and Sapporo on there, but oh well.
Although, lots of interesting stuff. Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock is supposed to be sort of the quintessential doppelbock, but I actually liked Weihenstaphaner Korbinian better.
Glad to see Rogue Shakespeare. Rogue makes lots of good stuff, and Portland/Oregon is a huge beer area apparently.
Also, a fantastic beer that I had recently that was left out: the Samuel Smith Taddy Porter. This is probably the best porter I will ever have.