Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mothers' Day with Nietzsche


Yesterday I had to take an exam rather early in the morning, so I decided to get a cup of coffee at a Starbucks near school. After I finished drinking the coffee, I looked at the cup and found this rather Nietzschean “inspirational” message, evidently left over from Mothers’ Day:

“Mother-love is not inevitable. The good mother is a great artist ever creating beauty out of chaos.” --Alice Randall, Novelist, The Wind Done Gone, and first black woman to write a No. 1 country song.
Now, I know I’m not supposed to take inspirational messages on coffee cups too seriously, so I just laughed at first. But the cup left me with a few questions: Would Nietzsche have approved of Mothers’ Day? Can there really be such a thing as a black-feminist-Nietzschean? And if so, would Nietzsche have approved of them writing country songs?

I'm still laughing trying to imagine Nietzsche listening to country music.
Post a Comment