Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Letter to a Former Altar Boy


Dear former altar boy,

You've made it abundantly clear to me that you don't believe what the Catholic Church teaches. In fact, you've stated that you don't even believe in God.

I don't agree with you, but since you obviously want to discuss religion, I'm willing to listen to you. I hope you're willing to listen to me.

But please--please--do not begin our discussion with "I used to be an altar boy." If you start out that way, I will stop listening.

Why?

Because it shows me that what you're really trying to do is to forestall any criticism of your opinions. You're trying to impress me with your credentials, rather than engaging in an honest dialog. You're setting youself up as some kind of an authority, when you never got past a child's understanding of the Church.

Do you realize, by the way, just how ridiculous you sound when you claim to speak authoritatively about the Church just because you were an altar boy twenty years ago? That's like claiming you're an expert on the theory of relativity because you won first prize in a science fair in grade school.

I see that falling away from the Church must have been traumatic for you; otherwise, you wouldn't insist on talking to me about the Church. But, I want you to realize that having been an altar boy doesn't make your word the last word on the Church.

Perhaps when you were growing up you were disappointed in the character of an authority figure, such as a priest or your parents. Indeed, you probably had every reason to be disappointed. It's never easy finding out that a role model has serious flaws. But please don't pretend that you're the only person who has ever suffered in this way, because you're not. Others have suffered through the same thing; some have lost their faith too, but others have not. There's more to the Church than what you encountered as an altar boy.

Another possibility is that you never really believed, but were simply brought up in a Catholic family and expected to believe. Once you realized that you really didn't believe, though, you felt bitter that your parents had imposed this religion on you. This is the problem of "cultural Catholicism." What it means is that young people grow up in a residually Catholic culture without ever learning much about the Catholic part of their culture. Many young people who grew up this way leave the Church once they reach adulthood because she never really meant anything to them; they view outgrowing the Church as part of growing up. For most of these people, being an altar boy is just another childhood experience that they all have to go through, and one more reason they dislike their parents.

Whatever the reason you fell away from the Church, though, simply having been an altar boy doesn't make you an expert on religion.

Once you get that into your head, we can begin our discussion. Who knows, we might even come to some kind of better understanding.

Sincerely,

Stephen

P.S. Former altar boy, I know that what I just wrote sounds harsh, and I don't mean to insult you, but please try to understand my position. Lots of journalists, it seems, have been interviewing random guys on the street about the current scandal, and announcing that these guys used to be altar boys but no longer practice their faith, as if that was incontrovertible evidence that the Church is evil. The next time that happens, I'm going to throw my shoe through the screen--but I'd rather not wreck a good TV.

7 comments:

Caitlin said...

Thanks for this post Steve, I know what you mean. It is frustrating not only in the media (which of course I deal a lot with) but also personally with many in our generation. It is hard to hear how closed peoples' minds are because they think they understood the whole of Catholicism by the time they were 12. Thank God I'm still learning.

Stephen said...

Here's a perfect illustration of both cultural Catholicism and the "altar boy phenomenon."

When I was teaching (at a Catholic school) for a year in Germany, I went on a ski trip to Austria with the 11th grade. On Sunday, I told one of the teachers that I was going to skip skiing in the morning and go to Mass at the church in the village. She didn't want to let me go, but she finally relented. Later that day, another teacher asked me about why I felt that I had to go to Mass, and I just responded that as a Catholic I go to Mass every Sunday. Before launching into his speech about why he disagreed with the Church on issues of sexual morality, he declared quite emphatically, in his thick Rhenish accent, "I'm from the Rhineland. I'm Catholic. I used to be an altar boy!"

In his mind, those three things--being from the Rhineland, being a baptized Catholic, and having been an altar boy--meant that I couldn't question his opinions.

Me, me, me (isch, isch, isch)!

Aaron Linderman said...

Silly Rhenish accent...

It strikes me that behind all this is a kind of nominalism, a notion that terms can mean whatever we want them to mean. Thus, rather than saying Catholicism is wrong (but at least acknowledging that is has something to do with Jesus, the Church's teachings, the bishop of Rome, etc.), people now redefine it to mean whatever suits their purposes.

Stephen said...

Ah, Aaron, at least you can understand how silly the Rhenisch can sound.

That's an interesting idea about nominalism. I came across a recent post elsewhere that attacked journalism in general, but especially when it reports on institutions like the Church, as essentially nominalist in nature(if anything can be "essentially nominalist in nature"). Perhaps that form of argumentation--defining the Church (or any other institution) as however you want to define it--could just as easily be called sophism or ideology.

Stephen said...

Apparently, I still haven't figured out how to do a link properly. Here it is:

http://bonald.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/against-journalism-the-nominalist-lens/

Stephen said...

It turns out, of course, that Joe Moreno, the Chicago alderman at the heart of the whole Chick-fil-A "controversy," knows more than Cardinal George about what the Catholic faith requires of believers because he used to be an altar boy. At least that's what the Chicago Tribune reports.

Aaron Linderman said...

This guy is clearly a superstar.

"For the cardinal to say that Jesus believes in this, and therefore we all must believe in this, I think is just disingenuous and irresponsible." I don't know that the cardinal ever used the phrase "Jesus believes X." We're talking about the nature of things here, which is slightly more complex.

"The God I believe in is one about equal rights, and to not give equal rights to those that want to marry, is in my opinion un-Christian." Well no one asked about your opinion, did they? Because if we're asking about opinions, the cardinal has one too. We're talking about truth, so throw down!

"Moreno also called the cardinal’s reference in the blog to a fictional Council Committee on Un-Chicagoan Activities 'hyperbole and rhetoric'." Yes, yes it is. The cardinal does not actually believe there is such a committee; he was making a point, which was clearly missed.